Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee is a rare find that’s only produced in Ethiopia. This coffee is tough to see in the coffee industry, and it is only available for purchase online and in specialty stores.
Ethiopians have consumed Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee since the 1980s. It is one of the best African coffees on earth. One cup of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee contains approximately 130mg of caffeine, making it one of the most caffeinated coffees found anywhere.
Origin of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee:
Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee comes from a geographical region in Ethiopia called Gebeya-Yimbo. The people in this region call their coffee Yirgacheffe, which means “the king of coffees” Yirgacheffe is found in the Eastern Highlands of Ethiopia. This coffee was first planted in the early 1980s. Since then, Yirgacheffe has been considered one of the best coffees in the world. The name Yirgacheffe Coffee has been used for coffee grown in the region of Ethiopia with the same name. It is, however, not limited to this area and can be found growing as far away as Sudan. They grow this coffee in the highlands of Ethiopia at an altitude of near 3000m. Yirgacheffe is a type of variety that grows on mountains’ slopes, and it is characterized by a unique leaf shape and distinct aroma. Yirgacheffe Coffee beans are tiny in size and resemble a green bean but eventually become more dark-colored when roasted.
The flavor profile of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee is described as being spicy, herbaceous, citrus-like with a clean and sweet aftertaste. It has been compared to the flavor profile of honey and almonds. Individuals must test it to understand its flavor. However, It is a complex blend of flavors that must be experienced over many cups to appreciate.
Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee is known to be very complex when roasted. When roasting this coffee, it’s essential to bring out the unique taste of this coffee without over-roasting it. By roasting Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee at the right temperature, one can create a cup that smells like fruit, tastes like a savory nut, and has a slightly sweet taste. When roasting this coffee, one can achieve mild, medium, or full-bodied flavors. It also contains high levels of caffeine, making it perfect for those looking to enhance their energy level throughout the day.
How Is Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee Processed?
Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee is made by processing coffee beans in a particular way. The most critical step in this process is when the coffee beans are laid out and allowed to dry for two weeks at the optimal temperature to obtain that beautiful coffee flavor. Afterward, the beans are sorted based on their ripeness before being bagged and processed into a final product.
The Best Method To Make Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee:
The best way to brew Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee is to use the drip brewing method. In this method, the water temperature does not cause the caramelization of the coffee beans, and you must have a scale if possible. This type of drip brewing ensures that all coffee flavors are fully extracted and can be enhanced by adding different kinds of spices. By using a drip coffee maker, the optimal time for brewing is 45 minutes. This method will give you the best cup of coffee with a strong flavor and rich taste that you can only find in this type of bean.
Step 1: Thoroughly clean water is needed to create a great cup of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee.
Step 2: Once you’ve cleaned the water, it’s time to begin your process. Start by putting coffee and water into your filtration system.
Step 3: Let the coffee drip down through the filtration system for about 40 minutes or however long it takes to make four cups of coffee.
Step 4: Once your coffee is finished dripping, it’s time to pour it into your coffee mugs and enjoy!
Pros and Cons of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee:
1) It is one of the most caffeinated coffees you can find. It also has a very complex flavor profile, which makes it different from any other coffee out there.
2) It is one of the most caffeinated coffee beans out there, with one cup containing approximately 130mg of caffeine; this makes it an excellent choice for someone looking for a “pick me up” throughout the day.
3) It has been known to have an earthy, herbaceous, and slightly sweet taste. The high levels of caffeine make it a perfect choice for someone looking to have an energy boost throughout the day.
4) One thing that sets this coffee apart from other coffees is that it contains very high levels of antioxidants, which makes it an excellent choice for someone trying to avoid caffeine and still gain the benefits of antioxidants.
5) It has been known as one of the rarest coffees globally, which makes it a good choice for someone who wants to experience something unique and different.
1) This Coffee has a low acidity level, meaning it is not the best choice for those who enjoy drinking their coffee black. It means that it would also require adding creamer or sugar to offset its bitterness.
2) It may lose its unique flavor after a while, making it a difficult choice for those looking for an everyday cup of coffee.
3) It is not widely available in many parts of the world. Only specialty stores sell this coffee on the internet and in person. It is available in countries with large numbers of Ethiopians, such as Canada, France, Germany, Japan, and Sweden.
Best Ethiopian Coffee to Try:
1) J Martinez Ethiopia Yirgacheffe:
J Martinez is one of the most popular and best Yirgacheffe Coffees out there. It is hand-roasted in the Yirgacheffe region of Ethiopia and has a complex yet delicious flavor with high levels of caffeine. This coffee is a medium roasted coffee with an earthy, herbaceous, citrus-like, and savory taste. It is also one of the most affordable Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffees on the market.
2) Gloria Jeans 100% Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Beans:
Gloria Jeans is one of the other best Yirgacheffe Coffees on the market. It has a medium to dark roasted flavor with a rich taste and high levels of caffeine. It has a mild body with a hint of sweetness, citrus, and hazelnut. Gloria Jeans is an affordable cup of coffee that all coffee lovers can enjoy.
3) Joe Bean Ethiopia Gelana Abaya:
Joe Bean is a newly founded coffee company that is offering high-quality Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee. It has a light to medium roasted flavor with hints of citrus and chocolate. This coffee can be enjoyed by everyone, including those who love dark roast due to its subtle sweetness. It is a medium-bodied, bright, and terroir-driven coffee created in Ethiopia’s Yirgacheffe region.
Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee is a rare find that’s only produced in Ethiopia. This coffee is only available for purchase online and in specialty stores. It is recommended to consume it because it has antioxidants which have many health benefits. One cup of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee contains approximately 130mg of caffeine, which is organic, making it one of the most caffeinated organic coffees found anywhere.
Q: Is Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee fair traded?
A: Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee is never fair-traded, but it is organic and grown by small farmers.
Q: What does Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee taste like?
A: The flavor of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee has been described as earthy, herbaceous, citrus-like, and slightly sweet.
Q: Can we make Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee using French press?
A: Yes, we can make Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee using a French Press, but the coffee will be a lighter-bodied roast.