A common misconception about coffee makers is that their carafe and pots are breakable because people drop them. However, the truth is that carafes and pots are breakable, not because of getting dropped but rather because they allow heat to escape when exposed to sudden temperature changes.
Coffee pots and carafes are made of heat-conducting materials that do not allow heat to escape easily. But that is too difficult and expensive for manufacturers to do. They are often made of cheaper plastic or glass that can safely handle a hot liquid but do not breathe well enough to prevent the liquid from evaporating when exposed to sudden temperature changes.
Elements of Pots/Carafes
1. Pot is usually made of heat-conducting plastic or glass, which does not allow heat to escape easily. There are two basic types of pots: the thermal carafe and the glass pot. The thermal carafe heats up from the bottom to the top, causing a uniform temperature around its outer surface and preventing hot spots. On the other hand, the glass pot only heats up at its base, causing temperatures to vary across its surface and allowing hot spots to form.
2. The lid is usually made of heat-conducting plastic or metal and can be either glass or thermal. It traps heat and prevents it from escaping, which increases the temperature inside the pot.
3. The handle is usually made of heat-conducting plastic that retains moisture, which prevents it from sticking onto your hand when you accidentally touch it during use.
4. The spout is again made of heat-conducting plastic that does not allow heat to escape easily so that liquid does not drip when pouring.
How to Prevent Fragile Pots/Carafes From Breaking
The only way to fix this problem is to purchase a coffee maker that comes with a thermostat. A thermostat allows the temperature inside the pot or carafe to be regulated, preventing the water from being overheated. This inclusion of a thermostat is the best way to keep the material in your pot/carafe from breaking. If you are looking to buy a coffee maker, you should also look for a thermostat to regulate the average temperature to the optimum one.
Maintenance of Carafe/Pots
In order to maintain the longevity of the coffee maker carafe, you must regularly clean the carafe after every use. This will help prevent the smell and taste of stale coffee from invading your next cup. All that is required for cleaning is a mixture of warm water and a small amount of detergent. It is important not to overfill with this mixture, as it may seep into difficult areas and cause cleaning issues.
Conditions That Lead to Damage of a Carafe/Pot
1. Not Cleaning The Coffee Pot Frequently
If you aren’t cleaning the pot of coffee frequently, then the pot or carafe may break. In addition, the residue inside can cause it to react to temperature changes. This reaction results in the breaking of the pot or carafe. On the other hand, you can also use soapy water to clean it more thoroughly.
2. Forgetting To Descale
If you are not desilting your coffee maker regularly, it may cause difficulty warming up the water. It may also cause the coffee to be distasteful in subsequent cups. You can clean it with warm water by letting it sit overnight. Then, you just have to wipe off the debris from the machine. Your coffee pot or carafe should also be cleaned every week or so to keep it at its optimum working level.
3. Not Putting Water In The Coffee Maker
Many coffee pots have self-heating elements and won’t work if there is no water inside. The absence of water can cause the coffee machine’s heating element to break, causing possible fire or steam burn.
4. Not Using The Carafe Correctly
The proper use of a carafe and pot is essential for its maintenance. For example, if a coffee pot is left filled with water and not emptied frequently, then the hot water will evaporate. The carafe material will absorb moisture in the air and will become weak due to evaporation. Evaporation is caused by heat that escapes through the pot, and air can get inside it.
5. Not Using Freshwater
If the used water is not fresh, then mineral deposits can develop in the pot and carafe. This process results in coating the inner area of the utensil. This coating can cause the pots to break when heated.
6. Not Descaling Or Cleaning On The Outer Surface
If there is a mineral buildup inside your coffee maker, it can produce a clogged pathway, resulting in overheating. If it is left untreated, then it will result in the breaking down of your coffee maker. However, to clean a coffee pot, fill your pot with hot tap water and allow it to run through for 3 minutes. This process will dissolve any minerals that are accumulated inside the pot.
7. Overfilling The Pot
Overfilling the coffee maker is a recurring problem. The coffee maker is highly sensitive to water and will break down if too much water is used. When the pot is already full, it can cause a buildup of pressure in the heating plate. This buildup of pressure can result in a broken coffee maker.
Difference Between Thermal and Glass Carafes
The main difference between glass and thermal carafes is their fragility. Glass carafes are less durable than thermal carafes and tend to break when they’re dropped. However, some glass carafes have a sturdy build. In such cases, you will not need to worry about damaging your carafe. For that reason, you can rely on these products and expect excellent durability from them.
The reason why glass is considered more delicate than thermal carafes is because of its shape. In addition, it lacks stability and heat resistance. They may break because of a sudden temperature change or if the product drops on the floor.
Thermal carafes are long-lasting because they have the quick heating ability and can withstand a high heat cycle than regular glass. However, some standard glass carafes can withstand hot water and can be used for an extended period without breaking from internal heating.
One of the constituents of a coffee maker is a glass carafe. They possess a proper heat distribution mechanism but are not known for their durability. However, it’s essential to clean them regularly since mineral deposits build up over time. When the cleaning process is carried out, make sure that chemicals, especially those with abrasive materials are not used as they can damage the carafe material.
Pros of Glass Carafes
1. Glass carafes are easy to clean, so you don’t have to worry about mineral deposits.
2. They have a long lifespan. An example of durable glass carafes is Melitta and Bonavita, as well as Bodum glass.
3. Some glass carafes feature a rotating design that allows you to pour hot coffee more efficiently. This makes cleaning more manageable too because it’s no longer necessary to move the coffee pot around to pour some fluid from it.
Cons of Glass Carafes
1. It’s made of glass, which is breakable. It can break during any temperature shock or even if it falls hard on the floor.
2. Glass carafes are not good at spreading heat, especially if they’re filled with cold water.
3. They’re not known for their ability to prevent dripping when pouring, so you would need a drip catch tray for your table.
Office employees often prefer thermal carafes. These carafes are easy to clean and maintain since you can use a wet cloth to wipe them down. You can easily wash it with water, unlike glass. It’s also dishwasher-safe, making it easier to maintain than a glass carafe.
Like any other product, thermal carafes have some disadvantages. They’re not entirely leak-proof and tend to leak when they’re dropped or have too much water inside the pot. This leakage can lead to burns and can seriously damage the coffee carafe and your hands.
Thermal carafes are easier to clean since there are no chemicals involved. They have a unique shape and can be used as decorative items in homes.
Pros of Thermal Carafes
1. Thermal carafes are easy to clean. You can use a wet cloth to wipe them down or pour hot water on them.
2. Thermal carafes will not crack from temperature or pressure changes.
3. These carafes can look like candlesticks and give a unique decoration to your home.
4. They have a rubber buildup around the lid, which improves durability and heat resistance.
5. Thermal carafes do not tend to break easily
Cons of Thermal Carafes
1. They are not heat-resistant and tend to break or crack when they’re heated.
2. Thermal carafes are known for their leakage problems. These leaks can cause burns and damage the carafe.
3. They’re more expensive than glass carafes.
4. Thermal carafes can be challenging to maintain since there is a need for cleaning regularly.
5. Their open shape allows the coffee to spill at times when it is being poured.
How do you choose a suitable carafe?
For many consumers, they’d go for the first set of carafes that they see on the shelf. This behavior is typical since most consumers are looking for an impulsive purchase. However, it’s not smart to go for the first product you see when shopping.
The fact is that there are many carafes on the market and you can find them in almost any store that carries home and kitchen gadgets. Each product has its price and functionality, which is why you need to be more careful with your selection.
It’s important to follow some guidelines when shopping for a carafe. If you’re looking for a simple carafe, then you can go for the cheaper ones. If you want something that will give you more than value for money, then it’s best to opt for the expensive carafes available on the market. Each type of carafe has its benefits and disadvantages.
You need to consider the number of coffee drinkers in your family, size and shape, how much you want to spend, and the type of material you’re comfortable with.
You can choose a pot that is easy to clean or an excellent design that you can display in your kitchen with your coffee maker. There are so many options when it comes to carafes as well as various factors to take into consideration, which includes:
The setting is the area where the carafe will be used. If you own a microwave, then you can consider a carafe that is microwave-safe. But if you have a convection oven, it’s best to go with an oven-safe glass carafe. On the other hand, if you need to store your pot in the fridge, then the product should be made of borosilicate glass.
There are different sizes available for the carafe ranging from 12 oz. to 34 oz. If you’re making several cups of coffee, it’s best to get a 34 oz. coffee carafe for your friends and family.
Glass carafes entail strength and toughness. However, they’re not resistant to heat and cannot be used in microwaves. The glass also tends to break easily if the coffee pot drops after it’s weakened by prolonged heat exposure. Thermal carafes are heat-resistant and ideal for use in the microwave when making hot beverages, and they can keep coffee hot for a short period.
The price of the carafe is a crucial determinant when looking for the most suitable material. It’s advisable to set some budget cap before you go shopping. It’s also vital to identify how much you can spend on a carafe depending on your financial situation and cost of living.
The Shape of the Carafe
There are different shapes, like cone-shaped or cylindrical, which differ according to the manufacturer’s design and use of materials. Round carafes usually have handles and are the easiest to hold when pouring. On the other hand, a flask-shaped carafe can be used in areas where you need to reduce the risk of spilling when pouring the beverage. Before purchasing your carafe, it’s vital to consider the shape of the pot well before you select your preferred design.
Some companies offer lifetime or long-term warranty on their coffee pots and carafes. Buying a carafe that has a warranty is important if you want to have assurance and satisfaction while using it. You should check the manufacturer’s warranty policy and see if it offers change or replacement for damaged carafes. Some carafes may also come with a free replacement for faulty models that have been permanently damaged due to misuse.
If you’re planning to get a carafe for your home or kitchen, then it’s advisable to consider the factors discussed in this article. These tips will help in making the most suitable choice when it comes to your next purchase. Before making a final decision, you need to go through many reviews and product comparisons to get a carafe that meets your requirement